As we are all getting ready for the big day, and I am testing out my ability to blog via iPad since I have downloaded the WordPress app, I wanted to take a moment to post a few reminders:
* We will be blogging during the trip. We will post some updates including information that we have arrived, and some photos during the trip.
* Make sure the students are wearing their blue Spain T-shirts, so we can easily identify them in the airport. Don’t forget passports.
* When we arrive at Dallas/Fort Worth (13:35), Apoyemos has allocated $15/ per student (each way) for food during the layover (both ways).
* The bag limit is 50 lbs. the students will be responsible for their own bags. This came up in our home, so I will mention it: carry on vs. checking. Natalie had the thought of just carrying her bag onto the plane since it is small enough. Think about this in the layover, you will be responsible for your bag and have to carry it through the airport. No one will offer to watch/ carry it for you. You could leave it somewhere, forget about it etc. I advise checking the bag and not having to worry about it until arrival.
* Finally, a reminder about electronics. While we all have our personal opinions regarding this topic and I understand, rules are rules. We will enforce the no electronics policy. Electronic devices (cell phones and iPods) will be collected and returned when we arrive back in PDX if students are in violation of this rule. This puts us chaperones in an awkward position to have to enforce this rule, so we politely ask that this is respected by the students and families as well. Keep them at home.
We are all ready to go and are looking forward to seeing everyone bright and early at 0500.
$ USD 1= 0.73 Euros
Is anyone arranging to bring Euros with them?
My credit union gives a direct exchange but charges a $25 fee; other banks use a third party vendor and charges lower fees and their rate are around 0.63 . At least that is what I found out today!
Does anyone know of more competitive rates or better place to exchange?
Several people have been asking, so here is the flight information . It is included in the folder distributed at the Orientation Meeting. It has not changed. The trip is coming soon and I hope everyone is getting excited. Graduation on Thursday!!!
6/19/2014 – AA 1220 depart PDX 7:50 – arrive DFW 13:35
6/19/2014 – AA 36 depart DFW 17:50 – arrive MAD 10:05
7/7/2014 – AA 37 depart MAD 13:00 – arrive DFW 16:35
7/7/2014 – AA 2211 depart DFW 21:25 – arrive PDX 23:15
Please remember that having a water bottle is important during the summer temperature!
Average temp in Madrid for July 1st is 88 degrees F.
To compare, average daily high for Portland for July 1 is 76 F.
Hydration is key!!!
ANDEO – International Homestays
620 SW 5th, #625
Portland OR 97204
tel: 503.274.1776 or 800.274.6007
The trip is coming soon and excitement is in the air!!!! We will be using this forum to send information on what we are doing on the trip and I hope to share photos.
You will see some more posts to help build excitement but also as a way to share information that may be useful:
I like to think myself a well traveled person, but yet every time I go on a trip or talk to someone else who has traveled, I always learn something new and useful. For example, getting a prepaid credit card for Natalie to have on this trip? (Why didn’t I think of that?). I am reaching out to all of you, to share some great learning ideas, tips and things that people do to make traveling easier.
- I will start with my tried and true: Earplugs. Blocking out the airplane noise (and city noise) helps me sleep better on trips and helps with jet lag, blocking out that constant airplane white noise.
What can you share? Please share in the comments.
Just a Friendly reminder about two important documents:
- The Medication Form located in the folder given at orientation.
- A copy of your child’s passport.
Please get these documents to Rebecca at ANDEO as soon as possible.
The trip is coming soon, I can feel the excitement in the air!!!
Today the kids should have received who their homestay families are when they go to Spain.
The trip will be here soon!!
ANDEO needs a copy of each kid’s passport, if you haven’t sent one to them, please do.
If you have trouble entering the building please text or call at 503-453-3927